Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Understanding Comics by Scot Mccloud.

I've been reading comics since i was 3 yrs old who knew there was art to it?
Who knew comics were an art form? I certainly never did. I always enjoyed reading the comics or funnies for the visual and cool story lines. Here it is some 30 yrs later and now I'm learning about juxtaposed sequential visual art. By itself i have n clue what that means but the beauty of Mccloud is that he does a good job of simplifying the art of comics. According to Mccloud this term means images side by side in deliberate sequence, intended to convey information or produce an aesthetic response in a viewer. McCloud then goes on to break down the history of comic from pre-Colombian picture manuscript in1529 to present day form. McCloud gives us the reader the language of comics by introducing us to words such as : iconic imagery. In the following chapters Mccloud talks about time frame; the concept of blood in the gutter(which i have read 3x and i still couldnt explain it); Closure now i thought this would be simple but again I'm reading and thinking what the hell is he talking about. In closing as i write this blog I'm not going to even pretend, l believe in keeping it real. As I'm reading this i feel like 'I'm in the mind of a demented genius. In order for me to be as authentic as possible and not spout of a bunch of academic garble I think my teacher wants to hear I would rather read and discuss this book in depth with others especially those who have more insight into graphic novels. I found this book hard to read and understand which is a trip since i have read two other graphic novels in between and it just flows.

No comments: