Sunday, August 5, 2007

Tsunami! Review

I read this GN about two weeks and i re-read again. It wasn't until i re-read it that i realize there are a few stories within a story in this piece. Personally the story line sucked me in because it was easy and also very compelling story about surviving one the greatest catastrophes of my life time. The graphic pictures of the woman running for her life were realistic as if i was watching them in real time.
This GN reads like a anthology of short stories, a travel write-up, a narrative news story and a bunch of mumbo jumbo all rolled into on piece. It sounds like I'm putting Tsunami down but actually I'm not. I read it with an open mind. I took a class at Antioch called Narrating Change and the whole class was on the power of telling stories. Stories can be a catharsis to healing and redemption or simple tales deep within us that we want to pull out and place on paper.
Truthfully at times Tsunami got a little confusing with different styles of writing, an example is you start off reading a graphic novel with pictures in sequential order then he drifts to a more traditional approach of story telling then he uses summaries (pg6) then he switches back to comic book format then he switches to a completely different story so as a reader your following along to where this will lead.
I didnt even know that he was relaying a tale about drug smuggling until i did a web search? (probably just me). Anyhow i facilitate a girls group at the elementary school where i work and several of the girls are into Mango and graphic novels and I wont to introduce them to prospect of creating their own work and Halls Tsunami is a good start because it is simplistic enough for them to follow not so much the contents but the layout and graphics. Actually I get excited because l got a feeling these girls will be awesome at this kind of stuff. Peace.

1 comment:

Craig McKenney said...

TSUNAMI! isn't technically a GN -- I say that just so we are keeping our terminology straight. It is considered a zine (pronounced zeen), which is a self-published magazine usually made on a photocopy machine.

How does the differing styles add to your confusion, and what does that mean for the relationship between art & text in a GN?

I like the idea of having your students make their own stories. It's a great end-of-term project, and one that you can turn into a zine so they can have a copy of it.